Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blog Assignment #1

1. How would you have explained the meaning of the term "ethics", before taking this class?

I would have explained ethics as a study of morality. I believe that ethics is a widely used subject that relates to everyday decision-making. Whether it may be a moral decision amongst a friendship or a situation developed within the work place, ethics can allow someone to interpret a situation logically by being open minded. I believe that ethics can also be a controversial subject because what may seem wrong to a group of people may not appear to be substantial to others.

2. What are some of your deepest held values?

Some of my deepest held values would have to be respect, trust, and honesty. You should always treat others the way that you would want to be treated, in other words to give respect. I feel that everyone deserves the right to be respected even if the particular person does not respect you. Either way, you will turn out to be a better person. On the other hand, trust is different from respect. Although you may show some respect towards someone, it does not mean that you may trust them. Some people gain trust towards others once they are proven worthy of their trust. I believe that everyone can be trusted with little things like a small secret, until proven wrong. I feel this way I am not viewing others in a negative light or seeing people as cruel before they are proven guilty. Another important value to me is honesty. Without honesty their can be no trust.

3. What are some main principles you try to live your life by?

Some main principles that I live by is to not take everything too seriously and when or if you experience a down turn in your life, to view it as a tool that will make you stronger. I believe that once someone views everything too seriously, there will be a build up of anxiety, stress, tension, and you will appear to be worried frequently. If you just relax and have fun during the process of whatever it may be, you will not be burdened with too much stress. I feel that because everyone only lives once, make the best out of it and live life to the fullest. Although you might have experienced a break up or divorce, a death in the family, or anything else that might of been a bad experience for you, it can only make you stronger. You live and learn from your experiences.

4. What moral qualities do you look for in others?


I look for others to be respectful of those surrounding you. I feel that if I treat someone with respect they should be able to give the same amount of respect back. I believe that honesty is another important quality others should have because without it, I would not be able to understand where someone is coming from when speaking their mind.

5. How were your values and principles developed?


My values and principles were developed through experiences that I have encountered throughout my life. When I was younger my father was in the military so we moved from Florida, to California, Pennsylvania, and back to Florida. I grew up living in areas for about four years at a time, trying to settle in with new schools, friends, and neighbors. I learned to be friendly, to be open minded of my surroundings, to be honest with the making of new friends, and learned quickly as to which friend I could trust. Living in different areas made me become more observant of my surroundings. I also would visit my grandparents during the summer where I was taught that life is too short and to not take life so seriously.

6. How have your values and principles changed throughout your life so far?

My values and principles have not changed much throughout my life. I am still young and I have plenty more experiences to encounter. I can say that through growing up, I got a better understanding of what respect, trust, and honesty really means to me. I learned how to respect others by listening to their comments or opinions as well as using manners. I learned that once someone loses your trust it is extremely difficult to gain the trust back. I also learned that honesty is very important within relationships and without it there will always be trust issues.

7. Out of 25 points, how many points do you feel your work on this assignment deserves?

I think that I probably deserve the 25 points because I put in much thought as to what I was writing. I also think that because this assignment is based off of who you are as a person and what your morals are, there could be no right or wrong answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment